When it comes to home decorating you just can’t go past black and white – as a basis for co-ordinating with brighter colours or as a feature in its own right. Crisp and clean, cool and comfortable, black and white décor is always striking. If you’re planning to make changes at your place this year, spend a while looking at these inspirational interiors and figure out how to re-create or rework them successfully.
1. Black and white is a classic combination for bathrooms. With this base you could add towels in any colour of the rainbow and give the room a whole new personality each week.
2. Even in the bedroom, this classic combo can be very successful. Mix and match bed linen and other accessories regularly, adding new items and retiring others – or at least putting them on leave for a while.
3. A big bold rug is ideal for adding glamour and pizzazz to a simply decorated room.
4. A bold pop of colour to a classic black and white decorating scheme can be all you need to take a room from sublime to sensational.
5. The old rules around mixing colours and patterns no longer apply. It’s all about creating spaces that reflect your personality.
About Louise Richardson
Louise Richardson planned to work at New Zealand Woman’s Weekly from an early age and having achieved that career pinnacle, she’s stayed put for 18 years – nearly a quarter of the magazine’s 80 year history. She never gets bored because no two days are ever the same, and she gets to work with her real-life passions, decorating, travel and fashion.more of this author