NZ Woman's Weekly

Is swallowing toothpaste harmful?

Many of us are told from a young age not to swallow toothpaste because it’s bad – and this is true, up to a point. Toothpaste contains lots of fluoride, and while this mineral strengthens enamel and protects teeth from decay, in large quantities it is poisonous.

Ingesting a large amount can lead to vomiting and weakness, explains Karen Coates, a dental health adviser from the British Dental Health Foundation. But you’d need to swallow a whole tube in one go, she says.

“If you’re somewhere where you’re unable to spit out the toothpaste, then swallowing is fine,” she adds. “In fact, you don’t need water at all. Rinsing your mouth with water is likely to wash away fluoride, and it’s best to keep it around the teeth.”

Wetting the toothbrush isn’t necessary either – and may be a bad idea. “It can alter the texture of the brush, making it less effective,” she says.

However, too much fluoride can cause children’s enamel to become porous, leading to teeth becoming mottled. This is called dental fluorosis, and in severe cases teeth can decay or crack. To avoid this, use children’s toothpaste.

Issue 1541

Subscribe to the magazine

Simon Barnett’s 7 magic rules

In this week's issue of New Zealand Woman's Weekly magazine: Simon Barnett reveals his seven magic rules for raising girls.

New Zealand Woman's Weekly is the country's most-loved women's magazine, bringing a wide variety of news, stories, recipes and helpful hints to the home every week.

Subscribe now

Subscribe to our newsletters

Receive the latest celebrity news, recipes and beauty tips, delivered right to your inbox.