NZ Woman's Weekly

Parent Talk: sporty kids

sporty kids, children sports, olympic gamesAs the world enjoys the Olympic games, it brings up the question of what we do with our children.

There are so many benefits of children playing sport – and not all of them are physical. While a child will improve their gross and fine motor skills, they are also learning emotional skills – such as dealing with winning and losing, and working as a team.

Today share: Is sport important in your house?

This week there’s a prize pack from Aveeno – find out more details by clicking here.

By commenting below you agree to our terms and conditions.

online competition, kids, children, aveeno prize pack, kids sports

29 Responses to “Parent Talk: sporty kids”

1. caryplum Sep 6 2012, 3:02pm

My 9yr old son needs sport to burn off his unending supply of energy, it also has taught him to work with others well.

2. cat1234 Aug 26 2012, 7:40pm

I Definitely think that encouraging sports in your household is really compulsory, building the child’s interest in different sports will develop their skills in that particular area.

3. compkw@gmail.com Aug 22 2012, 12:42pm

It is to a certain degree – I am not sporty be nature, but with 2 active kiddies, I try to encourage it as much as possible, but I don;t push it. It is great to burn off energy with my active 4 year old and great confidence building for my shy 6 year old

4. ella23 Aug 22 2012, 11:17am

I think it depends on the kids in the household and whether they are into sports or are interested in talking about sports. In our household growing up, we had a mix. I was really sporty, but didn’t really talk about sports apart from my personal experiences. My brother didn’t play sports but knew more than me about top NZ sportspeople. And while my sister only played one sport, she knew more about sports in general than the rest of us. So kids can think quite differently and I think parents just need to be able to respond to that.

5. typeset@clear.net.nz Aug 20 2012, 4:01pm

Very important, while I wasn’t extremely sporty as a child, I now totally believe in it’s importance while raising 3 boys ages 10, 12, 14yrs – not only for health sake but for burning off testosterone – I really notice the change in behaviour during school holidays if we are camped inside too much due to weather. Boys are more naturally competitive and so it’s great to put that determination towards something positive (not who can do the best tagging or hang about at skateparks). We all took a huge interest in the Olympics and it’s inspiring to hear some of them didnt’ start their chosen sport till older in life, We have a keen optimist sailor and great footballer so go NZ Sailors and The All Whites.

6. kiwimama Aug 20 2012, 3:28pm

Yes we LOVE sport in our house whether we are the ones doing it or watching it!!!We are SO LUCKY to live in such an awesome country,where the weather is great,the choice is amazing for both adults and kids alike ,to play in sports and support our great teams or players.My Nan used to say healthy body is a healthy mind!- which i so believe and we try to instill this in our kids.We love both solo sports such as horseriding and gymnastics, but really encourage our kids to be part of a team too.This is not only a great physical thing, but we believe awesome for their minds, and indeed mindsets as they approach their teens , and sets a standard for the rest of thier life –
    We had such a great family time watching and supporting the athletes during the Oympics, which also instills pride in the kids countries.Their Dad is Australian, i am a kiwi, our best friends are Italian!!! so we had a ball supporting so many people from so many places, during the Oympics!But of course GO KIWI GO was our main mantra!!!

7. gscas Aug 15 2012, 8:18pm

Sports should be up to each child as they are all different and have to be happy to play a sport. My daughters chosen sport is ballet, this suits her quiet personality. I do believe “a kid in sports stays out of court”.

8. pinkpolkadots Aug 14 2012, 10:02am

My partner and my son both play rugby so yes that sport is important in our house but not of the highest importence compared to schooling/work etc, we defintly all love being part of the atmosphere and the team wich has built some good characteristics into my son in the way of teamwork etc and even though I dont play i love being part of the team of mothers and wives that pull together all the things like the after match meals and being the hugest supporters.

9. mouena Aug 14 2012, 2:54am

sports is important, but i feel that home work is more important. however saying as mentioned above it is very good for releasing stress and keeping them fit.

10. erenakelly Aug 13 2012, 6:51pm

We’ve just started the four-year-old boy out on the soccer field. The first week’s session was hilarious watching under-7s trail around the ball in a pack, pausing for some dancing or simply gossiping on the field before remembering there was a game on. I think sport’s important balance, especially for young boys, and aids greatly in their brain development. Hopefully this is just the start!

11. sarahrowen Aug 13 2012, 12:11pm

My brother, who is 12, isnt the sport type at all. Except at school, where he takes part in soccer and basket ball. At home, the only running he does is in his iPod- Temple Run!!
    However, since the Olympic games started, he is very much interested in watching all the sports and comments on them very well. He has now decided to join the local hockey team all in the spirit of the Olympics!

12. handyandy Aug 10 2012, 10:27am

My daughter is not quite two and naturally very active so far, but we haven’t got as far as organised sport yet. I’m keen for her to find physical activities she enjoys though, as enjoyable activities are the only exercise we consistently carry forward as adults. If only I could discover the fun in stomach crunches!

13. reppeps Aug 8 2012, 12:33pm

Sports is a great way to bring families together. Our 3 children all played sport. Our saturday mornings were spent going to games. We now have Grandchildren who are just getting to the age where saturday sport is happening. There’s nothing better than standing on the sideline with other family members cheering on the kids. We have so missed going to early morning rugby, netball and hockey.

14. griffs Aug 7 2012, 10:46pm

With four children aged 4 to 8 we have all of them playing sport summer and winter. It is a lot of effort for us ferrying them round for games and practices but they just get so much out of it. As well as keeping active physically it allows a huge amount of mental and social development as they work with other children and adults. It is a great social time and allows them to meet others who are keen on similar things. we have met some fantatsic families at the same time We also have them all doing swimming lessons as I think all kiwi kids need to know how to swim.
    The rest of their time is spent in playing and having fun but they are always disappointed if sports is cancelled for any reason. I would not like to force them into it if they weren’t keen though. It would be no fun for us or them!

15. prettyflower Aug 6 2012, 3:25pm

Yes it is important in our house, I myself try to keep active but I really encourage my 2 girls to push themselves, I have seen how their grades at school improve the fitter and more into their sports they get. I always make sure that I deep things positive so they enjoy their sports as I want them to make it part of the daily life style, something they love to do and look forward to each day.

16. jembec Aug 6 2012, 9:54am

My 10 year old has quite bad anxiety. He loves sport- hockey and cricket, but his nerves tend to get the better of him. However when he follows it through and plays a game the look of satisfaction and pride on his face is well worth it. Sport is fantastic for all kids as long as not too much pressure is put on them.

17. jewellnz Aug 5 2012, 10:49pm

i am afraid i am not in to sport at all, however my son was, and i did the best i could to encourage him in what ever he chose to play, as he grew older he was indeed quite talented at any sport especially cricket, today as an adult, he still pursues his sporting interest,and now has turned his hand to playing golf,so it just goes to show, you don’t have to be a sporty person to have children who love it,always good to support their interests whatever they may be

18. flashdaz Aug 4 2012, 10:26pm

yep ..the wee fella loves swimming!

• tinachris Aug 5 2012, 8:27am

sport is great, not just for exercise, but for team spirit, a lot of laughs, socialising all the things you need to get on for a happy and healthy life… sport helps provide that

19. kelvinmum1 Aug 4 2012, 2:54pm

Sport is sooo important in my house having 2 boys. Rugby every Saturday. And at the moment with the olympics on the TV is constantly on Prime. It’s that kiwi pride of knowing we’re such a small country with huge talent.

20. traceyv Aug 2 2012, 7:56pm

Sport is a great way for kids to learn so many life time qualities. From healthy living to cooperating with their pears. We have encouraged all our children to participate and enjoy. My husband is the coach for his girls soccer team and I do a lot of running around for school sport events. There is also the opportunities to play beach cricket, boogie board, swing ball and dance like nobody is watching, that you can do as a family and still call sport.

21. thereseb Aug 2 2012, 3:24pm

I think sport is really important – especially team sports. There are so many benefits to be gained for both adults and children:
    Fitness – general health and well-being
    Goals – Setting goals and working towards them/striving to achieve /practicing and focusing
    Strategy – Thinking about how each individual’s unique skills might best be used, practicing set pieces, thinking ahead in the game and about potential consequences of certain moves/actions.
    Team work – Learning how to work most effectively as part of a group to get best results and sharing around (good sportsman-ship)
    Camaraderie – Achievements are always better when they can be shared/enjoyed with team-mates (and people to console if things don’t go right!)
    Social – Develop good friendships that go beyond the sport.
    Commitment – Making a ‘promise’ to yourself, or a team, or a coach, and honoring that promise
    :-)

22. ramyaraj Aug 2 2012, 2:37pm

I would prefer my kids to be playful, fit and active. Any activity which help them build sportsman spirit, team spirit is very good and I encourage my kids in such actives which will give then overall development opportunity.

23. Andypandy Aug 2 2012, 11:50am

As a youngster I really enjoyed playing sports even though our family were not particularly sporty. At about 8 I wanted my daughter to try netball so I became the coach for there school team (I thought she would stick at it if i was). She has started high school this year and still plays netball and also football. It’s not that sport is important it just that it can be enjoyable if you give it a try.

24. tracy_hampton@hotmail.com Aug 2 2012, 12:55am

It is as its a great thing to do for exercise and socialising. I loved sports on the weekends when I was younger :-)

25. pomkiwi Aug 1 2012, 11:02pm

It sure is to my flat mate. Sport, sport and more sport!

26. annettehynes Aug 1 2012, 7:49pm

I grew up in a house where playing sport was very important and a huge part of our lives, by the age of 10 or 11 we were all (4 kids) training 2-3 times a week with games at weekend. Looking back it was a huge commitment from my parents. I now have 2 little boys (5 and 2.5) and one due in 2 weeks, our eldest is in his second season of rugby and loves it. Both of our boys also do athletics during the summer months, they can start at 1 year of age, it is very social and relaxed and great for them.

27. jodie3 Aug 1 2012, 5:06pm

Playing sport isnt really important, just keeping fit and playing outside is enough :)

28. dancer666 Aug 1 2012, 4:22pm

great products!

Latest Issue

Simon Gault on why he loves being a dad

In this week's issue of the New Zealand Woman's Weekly Simon Gault opens up about fatherhood.

New Zealand Woman's Weekly is the country's most-loved women's magazine, bringing a wide variety of news, stories, recipes and helpful hints to the home every week.

Receive the latest celebrity news, recipes and beauty tips, delivered right to your inbox.