Serve as an entrée for lunch – or keep for a picnic and school lunchboxes. You can make this in one large dish for Sunday dinner, too. The salad adds a fresh crisp texture to the overall dish.
- 1 cup grated zucchini, squeeze out moisture with paper towels
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 50g feta, crumbled, plus extra for the salad
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup cream
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup self-raising flour
- Sea salt and pepper
- ½ cup fresh peas in the pod, plus pea fronds or herbs
- 1 zucchini, peeled into thin ribbons with a peeler
- Extra feta crumbles
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
1 Preheat oven to 175oC and grease a medium muffin tray. Combine zucchini with red onion and feta.
2 Beat eggs, cream and oil and stir into zucchini with sifted flour and seasoning, and mix well. Spoon into the muffin pan, filling ¾ high.
3 Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden, puffed and spongy when pressed in the centre.
4 Cool for 5 minutes then remove from the tray, otherwise they may stick.
5 For salad, lightly toss the zucchini ribbons, peas, feta, zest and oil, and serve alongside the zucchini cakes.