Total time2 hours
Ready in 2 hours, serves 6-8.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 200g thinly sliced smoked bacon
- 800g thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- Milled pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC
2. Line the base of your chosen ovenproof pan or flan mould with a circle of greaseproof paper. Brush with soft butter.
3. Cover the bottom and overlap the side with sliced bacon. Neatly and tightly fill with sliced potatoes and grated cheese. Season with pepper only, as the bacon provides the salt.
4. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes at 200ºC. Remove from the oven and press down the potatoes with a wooden spoon. Reduce temperature to 180ºC and continue cooking, uncovered, a further 20 minutes.
5. Remove from the oven when the potatoes are tender. Recover with tinfoil and leave to rest for at least 10-15 minutes.
6. Carefully use the tip of a knife to edge away the bacon from the sides and turn out onto a plate.
7. Cut into wedges or place the pan in the centre of the table for a visual feast for your guests.
We chose Agria potatoes (our favourite floury potato) for a delicious, almost creamy, consistency when baked. Red Desiree, a waxy potato, holds its shape better when baked.