This classic combination of bacon and mushrooms is delicious! Keep it light by adding water with the cream, or substitute with lite cream or even lite evaporated milk. The spinach will wilt down and become bright green. The wholemeal spaghetti doesn’t taste different, it’s just been processed less, making it a healthier option!
- 4 portions wholemeal spaghetti
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 rashers bacon, sliced
- 1-2 chorizo sausages, sliced
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 130g bag baby spinach
- 300ml cream
- 1 cup water
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Cook spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water for 10-12 minutes until al dente, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and sauté the onion, bacon and sausage for 3-4 minutes until golden. Add the mushroom slices and fresh thyme and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spinach, cream and water and simmer for 4-5 minutes until creamy. Toss the spaghetti with the creamy bacon and mushroom sauce. Season and and serve with shaved parmesan, if liked.