Blini are little pikelets made with a leavening agent, so they are super-light and make the perfect companion for this zesty salmon salsa. I have used sliced smoked salmon and diced it finely so it sits well on the pikelets for easy eating!
Makes about 30 blini
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp sesame or chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Butter and oil, for frying
- 125g cream cheese, softened
- 200g sliced smoked salmon
- ¼ cucumber, very finely diced
- ½ red onion, very finely diced
- 1 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp chopped pink ginger
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine the two flours, seeds, baking powder and salt. Add the egg, milk and lemon juice, then whisk together until smooth. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan and add a little butter and oil. Place small spoonfuls of the batter in the pan and let cook for 1-2 minutes over a medium-low heat until golden. Flip and cook the remaining side. Continue until the batter is used up. Arrange between paper towels, cover and chill until serving.
- For the salmon salsa, combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- When ready to serve, warm blini in the oven for 5 minutes to take the chill off them. Spread with a small dollop of cream cheese, then top with a spoonful of salsa. Garnish with pepper.