This fragrant salad is a great way to use up any random vegetables, just whatever you have on hand. Use a tender cut of lamb – it is simply pan seared and cooked medium rare. This salad will work equally well with chicken. For some crunch and added protein, toasted cashews make a great garnish for this dish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 4 baby carrots, sliced into rings
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup water or chicken stock
- 2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 2 lean lamb loins or fillets
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tsp chilli & lime, Moroccan seasoning, or similar
- Greek-style yoghurt
- Micro greens or baby lettuce leaves, to serve
- Squeeze of lemon, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan or nonstick frying pan. Add the spices, garlic and onion and saute for 2 minutes until lightly coloured and fragrant. Add the eggplant and cook for 4-5 minutes, then add the carrots, chickpeas and stock and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove the lid, add the spinach leaves and cook a further 4-5 minutes until the vegetables are tender and saucy.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the lamb with the seasoning. Heat a little oil in a hot pan and cook the lamb for 3-4 minutes on each side until well browned. Wrap in foil to rest for 10 minutes, then slice into strips.
- Serve the spiced vegetables in shallow bowls and top with the sliced lamb and a swirl of yoghurt. Dress with a few micro greens and a squeeze of lemon juice, if desired.