Surprise your guests and try these for an informal dinner party. The strong flavours are a real taste sensation. The cranberry relish can be whipped up in a matter a minutes. Invest in the juniper berries if you can – they have the most amazing scent and add real punch and aroma to any game or richly flavoured meats.
- 220g venison steaks (I used Silver Fern Farms)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Cracked pepper
- 1 cup cranberry sauce,store-bought
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3-4 juniper berries, crushed
- 1 star anise
- 4 sour dough burger buns or baps
- 50g rocket leaves
- 150g blue cheese
- 2-3 Agria potatoes
- 2 cups oil
- Sea salt and aioli
- Brush the venison steaks with oil and season well with pepper. Simmer the cranberry sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, juniper berries and star anise for 8-10 minutes until saucy.
- Sear the venison steaks on a hot grill or pan for 2-3 minutes each side or until done to your liking. Rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Layer the toasted buns with rocket leaves and top with sliced venison and blue cheese, then spoon over the warm cranberry chutney.
- For the potato sticks, slice the potatoes into thick slices lengthwise, then into thin strips across to create match sticks. Heat 2 inches of oil in a medium pan and cook in batches until crispy. Drain on paper towels and season with salt while hot.