Originally from Northern Thailand and Laos, larb is an aromatic salad of cooked, minced meat mixed with a fragrant dressing.
This is my version, using turkey. A lean meat, which can become dry when cooked and cooled, this dish is an ideal way to use up leftovers! Tweak the ingredients to suit your taste.
You could swap the red chilli for red capsicum if you prefer it without the heat.
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup plain oil (for example, canola or sunflower)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp palm or brown sugar
- 2.5cm piece peeled fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely crushed
- 2 cup cooked turkey, finely ground (I used the food processor)
- 1 onion, very finely diced
- 2 tbsp red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- Lettuce leaves and lemon wedges, to serve
1 In a jar, combine lime juice, both oils, fish sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic. Shake well.
2 In a large bowl, combine the turkey meat, onion, red chilli, celery and coriander, and toss together. Pour over the dressing and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Chill the larb until ready to serve.
3 Spoon into lettuce leaves. Serve with lemon wedges.