I wanted to try something different here, so I used turkey instead of chicken. If you have some leftover turkey from a mid-winter feast, why not turn it into sushi? I served mine with grapefruit caviar, but you can always just top it with cranberry sauce!
MAKES 24 PIECES
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Pinch salt
- White pepper to taste
- 1 small turkey breast (approx. size of 2 chicken breasts), cut into 1cm strips
- 4 sheets nori
- 2 cups brown sushi rice, cooked
- 2 cups white sushi rice, cooked
- 1 x quantity turkey katsu
- 1 apple, cored and sliced
- ¼ cup crushed tamari almonds
- 16 small leaves endive, torn in half
- 1 red grapefruit, cut into segments and diced, seeds removed
FOR THE KATSU
1 Beat egg whites and water together in a bowl.
2 Season panko breadcrumbs with salt and pepper in another bowl.
3 Dip turkey strips into egg-white mixture, then into seasoned panko crumbs.
4 Heat a frying pan and add a little oil. Pan-fry strips until golden.
FOR THE SUSHI
1 Lay nori sheet on a sushi mat shiny side down. Press sushi rice firmly and evenly over rough side of sheet. Place a quarter of the filling ingredients (turkey katsu, apple, almonds and endive) in a strip in the middle and roll up. Repeat with remaining nori sheets and filling.
2 Slice each roll into eight pieces. Spoon grapefruit over the top.