Total time60 minutes
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- 300ml cream
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate, grated
- 1 cup strong espresso
- coffee, cooled
- 4 tbsp brandy
- 1 packet savoiardi fingers (Italian sponge fingers)
1. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a large bowl until light and lemony. Fold in the mascarpone and then the beaten egg whites. Set aside.
2. Whip the cream and mix in half the grated chocolate. Set aside. Combine the coffee and brandy in a shallow bowl, and dip the sponge fingers into the mixture to soak through. Line the bottom of a deep, wide serving bowl, or eight individual cups or glasses, with some of the sponge fingers, then cover with half the mascarpone. Top this with half of the chocolate cream.
3. Place a second layer of soaked sponge fingers over this, covering them with the remaining mascarpone and then cover this with the rest of the chocolate cream. Sprinkle over the remaining grated chocolate, and cover the dish with plastic wrap. Chill for several hours so that the flavours all meld together. Serve straight from the bowl or give everyone their own portion in a small glass.
Lauraine Jacobs, Guest Food Editor