This recipe uses a few bottles and cans but the results are delicious and it makes the preparation a breeze. To cook from frozen, thaw meatballs overnight, then either microwave until piping hot or cover with foil and heat at 165°C for 30-40 minutes until hot and bubbling.
- 600g pork mince
- 1 packet bacon and onion soup mix
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 red capsicum, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 x 432g tin pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 x 355g bottle plum sauce
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 star anise
- 4-6 cups cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the mince, soup mix, parsley, egg and breadcrumbs, mixing well.
- Divide the mixture and roll into about 20 meatballs. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the meatballs for 5-8 minutes until golden all over.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Discard any excess oil from pan, then add the carrot, capsicum and onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add pineapple and its juice, plum sauce, vinegar, ginger and star anise, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Return meatballs to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Divide the meatballs and sauce into four portions and spoon into freezer-proof containers over a bed of cooked rice. Chill, then cover and freeze until needed.