A single bag of cleaned prawns at the supermarket cost us $7.99 – a small price for such a lovely fresh food that cooks in no time.
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced, seeds removed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch chilli powder
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 300g cooked, shelled prawns
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, mint, or both, chopped
- Salt and milled pepper
- Fresh limes, cut into wedges, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan. When hot, fry the onions and garlic over a medium heat for 8 to 9 minutes until they’re nicely softened.
2. Add the ginger, red chilli and all the spices. Stir in, then add the lime juice and coconut cream.
3. Boil the coconut cream for 5 minutes to slightly thicken. Add the prawns and capsicum and return to a boil. Add the chopped coriander and mint.
4. Taste to check seasoning, then serve with wedges of fresh limes if you have them.
Annabelle was born and raised in New Zealand and while she does not have formal chef’s training her love of “great honest cooking” came from watching her mother cook every day after school.
more of this author