Total time45 minutes
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups store-bought, bottled tomato pasta sauce
- 200g dried spaghetti
1. Heat oven to 200C. Combine mince, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley and egg in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Mix together, pounding the mixture with your hand for a couple of minutes (this will help the meatballs hold together when they’re cooked).
3. With damp hands, shape mixture into 20 balls and place on a wire rack set over a baking pan lined with foil.
4. Bake meatballs in an oven heated to for 20 minutes until browned. Place tomato pasta sauce in a saucepan and bring to the boil to heat through. Add browned meatballs and stir to coat in sauce.
5. Cook spaghetti in a saucepan with plenty of boiling, salted water for 10 minutes or until just tender to the bite, when you taste a little piece. Serve spaghetti in bowls topped with meatballs and tomato sauce.
Tip: Learn and use good hygiene and food handling habits. Always wash your hands with soap and water and dry them well before and after mixing raw meat.
Tip: Dampening your hands makes rolling meatballs easier – the meat won’t stick to your skin.
Tip: Cooking the meatballs in the oven will help to remove any excess fat from the meat, making this a nice healthy meal.
Tip: Using a store-bought bottled tomato pasta sauce is often easier for kids but you can use homemade pasta sauce instead if you have it.