This is a wonderful old-fashioned recipe that I have adapted to include kumara instead of potato. I have also added spinach. This pie is the perfect way to use leftovers from a roast or any leftover meat you may have. And it takes hardly any time to make. I hope you enjoy it.
- 400g kumara
- 25g butter
- 1 lemon
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried
- 200g leftover roast lamb, beef or chicken, chopped into small pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp flour
- 150ml water
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 150g spinach leaves
- Grated cheese (I used Parmesan)
- Peel the kumara and cook in salted water until soft. Mash with the butter and a squeeze of half a lemon. Set aside.
- Put the chopped onion in a pan with the olive oil and cook until soft, then add the thyme and the cold meat.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir the meat to combine with the onion and thyme.
- Sprinkle with the flour and stir until the flour has been absorbed. Add the fresh water (or use the water from cooking the kumara for extra nutrition).
- Stir until the mixture thickens, then add another squeeze of lemon and the chopped parsley.
- Spoon into an oven-proof dish. Put the spinach in the hot frying pan to wilt, then put that on top of the meat. Add the mashed kumara on top.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and cook in a 200oC oven for 30 minutes.