Burgers are simple to make and always popular with the family. This meal makes one chicken breast go a
long way – you’ll be surprised! The kumara wedges are simple and delicious, and make this a hearty dinner.
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp Cajun seasoning
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 4 sourdough buns or similar
- Spray oil
- 1 tbsp rice bran oil, for frying
- 50g gourmet lettuce
- ¼ cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- ½ cup aioli
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
- 6-8 little kumaras, cut into wedges lengthwise
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp herb and garlic sea salt
- Slice the chicken breast into 4 thin escallops (of even thickness). In a bowl, combine the flour, seasoning and celery salt.
- Preheat a large grill pan or frying pan. Cut the buns in half horizontally and lightly spray with oil. Sear the cut side in the pan until golden and set aside.
- Dredge each chicken slice with the seasoned flour. Add a little oil to the pan and sear the chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes each side over a medium heat.
- Layer the toasted buns with lettuce, cucumber, avocado and red onion, then top with the seared chicken breast. Dollop on the combined aioli and mustard, finishing with a top bun. Serve with kumara wedges.
- For the wedges, preheat the oven to 185oC. Toss the kumara with the oil and seasoned salt, then arrange on a lined baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes until tender.
Take a look at Top 10: burger recipes here.