This is a fabulous salad for using a mixture of vegetables. The orzo gives an interesting texture and turns it from a side to a meal. Garnish with your favourite nuts and seeds, feta and a few herbs for freshness.
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus 2 tbsp for dressing
- 1 tsp Cajun spice or all-purpose seasoning
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 coloured peppers, deseeded and diced
- 1 small eggplant, chunky dice
- 1 zucchini, diced
- ¼ cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¼ broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp seeds (pumpkin, sesame, sunflower, almonds, etc)
- 50g feta cheese, crumbled
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
1 Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Cook pasta as per the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
2 Toss the cut vegetables in the oil and season. Arrange in a single layer on a lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes until caramelised and tender.
3 Combine the veges and the orzo. Dress with lemon juice combined with olive oil.
4 Serve in bowls, topped with crumbled feta, nuts and seeds, and parsley.
*If the orzo sticks together, just refresh under warm water or toss with a tablespoon of oil – this will separate the grains.
Photos: Nick tresidder • Props: Natalie Hoelen