Ready in 40 minutes, serves 4 to 6.
Don’t be fooled by the name of this dish – it should be called “heaven in a bowl”.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves, sliced
- 400g can tomatoes in juice, chopped or 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to season
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently until tender.
2. Add the uncooked rice. Stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Add the stock and wine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low heat. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until tender. Mix in the spinach. Cover and cook for a further 5 to 8 minutes until the rice and spinach are tender and the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
4. Mix in the tomatoes and cheese, before cooking for a further 2 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Add fresh herbs, such as parsley or basil, to these dishes just before serving.