Adding stuffing balls makes this fragrant chicken dish complete. Just whip up your favourite greens and dinner is served. Every slow cooker is different, so these cooking times are a general guide.
- 1 onion, halved and sliced into wedges
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 10-12 chicken drumsticks, skin removed*
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 2½ cups good-quality chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 large tbsp liquid honey
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1½ cups store-bought stuffing mix
- 1 tsp chopped fresh sage or parsley
- ¾ cup water
- Steamed green beans and fresh thyme, to serve
- If using an oven, preheat to 160°C.
- Arrange onion, garlic and lemon at the base of your slow cooker or casserole dish.
- Nestle in the chicken drumsticks, sprinkle over the drained chickpeas. Whisk together the chicken stock, cornflour and honey, and pour over the chicken. Season well and add fresh thyme.
- Cook in a slow cooker covered on low for 5 hours 30 minutes, high for 3 hours 30 minutes, or in the oven for 3 hours.
- Combine the stuffing mix, sage and water and mix well. Roll the stuffing into walnut-sized balls and place around the chicken, half covered by the liquid, for the last half hour of cooking time.
- Serve with green beans and garnish with thyme.
*Paper towels aid your grip when removing the chicken skin. Or ask your butcher to do it for you.