This is a good way to stretch four leftover cooked sausages into a great family meal. My kids love the cheese and herb mix as a topping. If you don’t have cherry tomatoes, you can use two large ones or replace with capsicum or zucchini.
Add ½ cup of water to the sauce to make more liquid if you like your pasta coated.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cooked sausages, sliced on an angle
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 portions penne pasta or similar
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2-3 tbsp chopped herbs
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or frying pan. Add the sausages, garlic and onions. Saute for 3-4 minutes until just coloured.
- Add the fresh and tinned tomatoes, paprika, sugar and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes until heated through and saucy. Check for seasoning.
- Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling, salted water until al dente, then drain. Serve the sausage sauce over the hot pasta and top with grated cheese and herbs.