Ready in 35 minutes, makes 12 mini cakes or 6 full size.
- 125g butter
- 125g sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup dried fruit, such as rasins and currants
1. Butter your muffin tins. Preheat the oven to 190°C fan bake.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Adding a little flour will help to stop the mixture from curdling.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the creamed mixture with the milk. Fold in the fruit – the mixture will be stiff.
4. Spoon into prepared muffin tins and bake 15 minutes (for small cakes) and 25 minutes for larger, or until the tops are springy.
5. Let cool slightly before turning out of the tins. To serve, sift icing sugar over tops. These have a cake consistency and do not need buttering.
A little orange or lemon zest added to the mix is delicious. These are great to take when visiting friends – wrap them in a tea towel and place in a basket.