Swap fried chicken or nuggets for delicious poppy-crumbed bingo wings.
- 12 plump free-range chicken wings
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 5 tbsp poppy seeds
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 3 eggs, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan bake. Remove tips of wings with a knife. Separate wings at the joint. Set aside tips and first joint of the wings for making stock. Place the remaining plump wing joints in a pot with wine and soy sauce. Add just enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain, then place chicken wings in fridge to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together panko crumbs, poppy seeds, oil, salt and pepper. Place flour and egg wash in two more bowls. Remove skin from chicken. Roll in flour, egg wash, then crumb mixture. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve with slaw and chilli sauce.
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded radicchio
- ½ cup grated red apple
- 10cm sprig rosemary
- Pinch flaky sea salt
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Mix onion, cabbage, radicchio and apple in a large bowl. Remove leaves from rosemary and place in a mortar and pestle. Grind together with salt.
- Place in a separate bowl with vinegar, sugar and oil, mixing well. Pour over slaw and toss.
Quick chilli sauce
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- Pinch salt
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.
Mike’s top tips
- Adding olive oil to the chicken wing crumb mix controls the amount of oil used in cooking while still giving the crunch and flavour of deep-fried wings. This can be applied to schnitzel, fish and more
- The chicken wings are great for kids and much better for them than chicken nuggets! Replace the wine in the recipe with water or chicken stock
- It’s great to swap the ordinary red chillies for different varieties once you have mastered the sweet chilli sauce recipe.
Take a look at this chicken satay drumsticks with noodle salad recipe here.