This persimmon tarte tatin is delicious served warm with chilled sorbet.
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 50g butter
- 3 persimmons
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- Raspberry sorbet, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC. Place sugar and water in a small, heavy-based saucepan over a high heat. Cook until sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Add butter, melt and allow to bubble until the mixture turns a light caramel colour. Pour caramel into a 20cm cast iron or oven-proof frying pan.
- Remove leaves from persimmons and cut each one into 8 wedges. Fan out persimmon segments over the caramel, leaving a 2-3cm gap around the edge.
- Stick the two puff pastry sheets together and cut into a circle 2-3cm larger than the diameter of the pan. Lay the pastry over the persimmon and press edges down so they touch the bottom of the pan, forming a seal. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Place a large serving plate over the frying pan and carefully flip the tarte out onto the plate. Serve hot with raspberry sorbet or an ice cream of your choice.