Total time20 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g dried pasta spirals
- 1/4 cup black olives
- Shaved fresh parmesan, to serve
- Basil leaves, to serve
1. Heat a saucepan, add oil, onion and garlic, then cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until onion is softened but not coloured.
2. Add tomatoes and sugar, then cook over a medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes until reduced and thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. At the same time, cook pasta in boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, or according to packet instructions, until al dente. Drain well and serve topped with fresh tomato sauce and scattered with olives, parmesan and basil.