Total time20 minutes
This is my final collection of recipes for the New Zealand Woman’s Weekly.
It’s been super getting to know so many readers and encouraging to receive such supportive feedback. When we pass on a good recipe, we love hearing your success stories about the new dish.
I use the word “we” quite intentionally. Before I worked for the Weekly, I worked as an individual with just my notebook and camera. But when you have a great test kitchen team, you have the joy, the laughter and banter over simmering pots. It’s a delight to share the process of creating utterly delicious recipes.
So a big thank you must be said to all the magazine team for working so hard. That includes talented photographer Tamara West, who creates outstandingly beautiful shots and is a delight to work with, the ever-pleasant Lifestyle editor Louise Richardson and all the sub-editors. Thank you for always being so supportive.
I’m not hanging up my apron, just moving onto exciting new challenges.
Rest assured that if there is a delicious aroma and a smiling cook anywhere from Timaru to Venice – this foodie will capture it and report it back.
Travelling is always enhanced by great food experiences. On a trip to Los Angeles to visit my family, my sister-in-law Lai and I discovered this amazing salad in Trader Joe’s supermarket. To be honest, she discovered it – I was too busy sorting through the melons to see any celebs. Lai found this great salad in a box.
After devouring the salad we worked out that this was a remarkable combination and one to share at home. So we took the contents list on the pack and worked out what was what. You’ll find Israeli couscous in specialty food stores and some supermarkets. You could substitute orzo, but couscous gives a great texture.
PRODUCT OF THE WEEK
Pacific West Salt and Pepper Squid
This is a handy option to have in the freezer and quite irresistible to devour with a spicy Spanish sauce. The package says this Malaysian import has an “authentic” salt and pepper batter and it delivers on the heat.
CHOPPED CHICKEN SALAD WITH SWEET BASIL DRESSING
- 200g diced pre-cooked chicken
- 2 generous handfuls of lettuce, chopped
- ½ cup red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup spring onions, chopped
- ½ red capsicum, chopped
- ½ cup cooked corn (or corn from 1 ear)
- 1 cup cooked Israeli couscous (prepare according to directions on the packet)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- ¼ cup tasty cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbsp pecans, finely chopped
SWEET BASIL DRESSING
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup basil, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 3 tsp water
- 1 tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a bowl large enough for tossing salad, add all the salad ingredients and set aside.
2. Combine olive oil, basil, lemon juice, honey, water and mayonnaise in a food processor until smooth. Pour over the salad, toss gently, season and serve immediately.