These muffins are divine served warm with the syrup. But if you’re after a quick fix, ditch the syrup and serve these heated with ice cream or natural yoghurt.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1¼ cups cream
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- ½ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C on fan bake. Line a 12-muffin pan with papers.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and soda, then stir in sugar, poppy seeds and orange zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, orange juice and cream. Stir wet ingredients into the dry, mixing gently until just combined.
- Spoon into the papers, filling to ¾, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- For the syrup, simmer orange juice, water, zest and sugar until reduced by half and syrupy. Serve muffins warm with the syrup spooned over.
About Jo Wilcox
"I have had a love of food my whole life. Lucky for me my mum allowed me to play in the kitchen from the very beginning – from sitting up on the bench watch her peeling peaches for preserving or planning dinner parties from her many Womans Weekly Cookbooks. Starting in my local beach café, I went onto professional cookery training and my big foodie OE working as a professional chef and nanny. At 21 I launched my first restaurant. The following years saw me owning a gourmet cake and dessert shop and then a pasta deli before I discovered the world of food styling. Today I work in food styling making food look beautiful and tasty in packaging and advertising shoots, as well as my most important role yet – Food Editor of New Zealand Woman’s Weekly. I aim to provide great meal solutions that are interesting and approachable, and of course gorgeous foodie photos that make you want to cook them! I love the feedback and the knowledge that people actually cook them and have great results. If I can give someone a love of cooking and enjoying family meal times and gatherings then my job is done!" See www.jowilcox.co.nzmore of this author