Meal Type Beef
Total time 3 hours
Our test kitchen has given this classic beef dish a modern update by turning it into a one-pot recipe. Placing in the oven for a few hours makes the meat tender and this method is ideal for a slow cooker as well.
- 500g stewing beef, diced
- 150g bacon, diced
- 100g button mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp mixed dried herbs
- 1½ cups red wine
- 1 tsp gravy browning or 1 tsp Marmite
- 2-3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 150oC.
2. Place the first nine ingredients in a medium-sized casserole dish and season well with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the flour and dried herbs and toss it all around until everything is lightly coated with flour.
3. Next, pour in the wine and browning or Marmite. Give it a good stir, then cover the casserole with a lid or tin foil.
4. Place into the oven on the centre shelf and leave for 2½ hours or so, until the beef is absolutely tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Stir in the parsley and enjoy.
Annabelle was born and raised in New Zealand and while she does not have formal chef’s training her love of “great honest cooking” came from watching her mother cook every day after school.
more of this author