Total time2 hours
This cake is moist and full of luscious spices. The secret is to ensure you drain the crushed pineapple properly. Put it into a sieve over a jug and push down with a wooden spoon.
- 2¼ cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 370ml vegetable oil
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 135g crushed pineapple, very well drained
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 160oC on bake.
2. Mix the dry ingredients together. Then slowly add the other ingredients in order given. Pour into a greased 26cm ring tin.
3. Bake for approximately 1¼ to 1½ hours or until a skewer comes out cleanly.
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 100g traditional cream cheese (not spreadable)
- 60g butter, softened
- 3-4 cups icing sugar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tsp lemon zest
1. Blend all the icing ingredients together vigorously using your food processor.
2. Add more lemon juice if you prefer a sharper, more distinctively lemon flavour. You can use less icing sugar for a softer result, and more if you want thicker icing.
3. When cake is cooled, add the cream cheese icing and serve.
Or – decorate the cake with additional walnut halves and it does not need cream to accompany it.