Here’s a cheeky idea to incorporate all the delicious flavours perfectly suited to hot dogs – tomato sauce, mustard, cheese and gherkins. They are substantial, satisfying and ready in 15 minutes. I’ve teamed mine with golden crumbed onion rings and a fresh hit of chopped parsley.
- 8 long rolls
- 2 cups grated tasty cheese
- 2 tbsp American-style mustard
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 chopped gherkins
- 8 frankfurters or precooked sausages
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Cajun spice
- 2 cups oil
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Cut a deep V or wedge in each roll. Combine the cheese, mustard, tomato sauce and gherkins, mixing well. Place a tablespoon or two in the base of each roll, add a frankfurter and top with another spoon of cheesy mix. Place the hot dogs on a tray lined with a sheet of baking paper and bake for 15 minutes until golden, melted and bubbling.
- For the onion rings, slice the onion into even rings and separate out. Place the flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs into separate bowls. Season the flour with the Cajun spice. Fill a small to medium saucepan with at least 1 inch of oil and place over a medium heat. Dip each onion ring into the flour, then the egg and lastly the breadcrumbs until evenly coated. Cook the rings for 1-2 minutes in the oil or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve the baked hot dogs with the crispy onion rings and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.