This divine pie is guaranteed to become a family favourite and is a great recipe to use up any leftover roast chicken.
- 3 sheets flaky puff pastry
- 30g butter
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 250g mushrooms – you can use a mixture of Swiss, white and field, or just one variety
- 1 medium leek, finely sliced
- 350g cooked shredded chicken – roast your own or use a deli roasted chicken.
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup chicken stock, hot
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard,
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk
- Cracked pepper
- Seasonal greens to serve
1 Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
2 Use 1½ sheets of the pastry to line a 25cm pie tin or similar, trimming to fit neatly.
3 Chill lined tin and extra pastry until required. In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and saute garlic, mushrooms and leek for 4-5 minutes until the leeks are soft and fragrant.
4 Add the chicken and sprinkle over the flour. Add the stock, stirring well, until smooth. Add the milk and season with mustard, sea salt and cracked pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes until thick and saucy. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
5 Spoon mushroom mixture into the lined tin and brush the edge with egg wash.
6 Cut the remaining pastry into 1cm strips and arrange in lattice pattern over the pie, crimping at the edges to seal. Brush the pastry lattice with egg wash and sprinkle with cracked pepper.
7 Bake for 25-35 minutes until the pastry is puffed and deep golden. Serve with seasonal greens.