12th July, in Recipes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, chopped
1 kg beef mince
2 cups button mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 cups beef stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp flour 100g tasty cheese, chopped into 2cm cubes
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
2 sheets (300g) shortcrust pastry
2 sheets (300g) butter puff pastry
1 egg yolk, whisked (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion, garlic and carrots until onion is tender. Increase the heat and add the mince to the pan, tossing at times until it is golden brown.
2. Add the mushrooms, oregano, tomato paste, stock, 2 cups of water and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1¼ hours. Thicken with flour mixed to a paste with ¼ cup cold water. Allow mince to cool and then refrigerate until required.
4. Preheat oven to 200C. Line a 26cm round pie dish with shortcrust pastry. Stir cubes of tasty cheese through the cooled mince and then spoon into the pastry base.
5. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and then top with puff pastry, sealing edges. Brush with egg yolk or milk if desired and then bake for 30 minutes until puffed and golden.