For a quick and easy dinner, try this cheesy macaroni bake. You can use the white cheese sauce as a base for lasagne, macaroni cheese, soups such as leek and potato, mushroom and bacon, and seafood chowder. This brew is also great for crêpe fillings or the start of a flavourful soufflé.
- 3-4 rashers bacon, sliced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- ½ cup hot milk
- 2 cups BASIC WHITE CHEESE SAUCE
- 250g macaroni pasta, cooked until al dente and drained
- Extra grated cheese
- Handful baby spinach leaves
BASIC WHITE CHEESE SAUCE
- 60g butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1¾ cups hot milk
- ½ cup tasty cheese, grated
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- To make the white cheese sauce, Heat the butter in a medium saucepan until melted and bubbling. Add flour and cook for 2-3 minutes until mixture is a sandy texture and golden. Gradually stir in a little hot milk at a time until you have a smooth creamy sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes, then stir in cheese and season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Saute bacon and onion for 3-4 minutes until fragrant and bacon is cooked. Stir the mustard and milk into the basic white cheese sauce, then add the cooked macaroni and bacon mixture (reserve a little for the top).
- Spoon into a baking dish, top with grated cheese and remaining bacon and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden. Top with spinach and serve.