Use the best-quality lamb you can afford, and trim off any excess fat. Portion 2-3 cutlets per person. As a quick and easy sauce, heat up store-bought mint jelly or sweet chilli jam with a little water to make a glossy glaze. Whip up a green salad while everything’s cooking.
- 1 large lamb rack
- 2 tbsp oil
- Fresh rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4-6 slices pancetta, Parma ham or streaky bacon
- ¾ cup orzo
- 2 medium golden kumara, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp garlic and herb sea salt (find this with the herbs and spices at the supermarket)
- 750ml chicken stock
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Mint jelly or sweet chilli jam
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Place the lamb rack in a lined roasting dish. Combine the oil, a few chopped rosemary sprigs and the garlic and spread over the lamb rack.
- Cover the rack with the slices of pancetta and roast for 20-25 minutes, depending on how well done you prefer it. Remember to cover and rest the meat for 10 minutes before slicing.
- For the orzo bake, combine orzo, kumara, salt and stock, and arrange in shallow layer in a medium casserole or baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes, then stir and return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed and the orzo and kumara is tender. Sprinkle with extra herbs to serve.
- For the sauce, melt the mint jelly or chilli jam with a little water (about ½ cup with ¼ cup water) until hot and syrupy.
- Serve the kumara bake on warm plates and top with sliced lamb rack, drizzle with glaze and add a few herbs to garnish.