This hearty shepherd’s pie-style dish is ideal for the whole family. Serve it with tender broccoli shoots or a simple green salad. You can add half a cup of minted peas. Or if you want to introduce a little sweetness, substitute one potato for a kumara in your mash.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 600g lamb mince
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups rich lamb or beef stock
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce or tomato chutney
- 1 grated carrot
- 2 tbsp mint jelly
- 130g baby spinach leaves
- 4 medium potatoes
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- ½ cup grated cheese
- 1 tbsp shredded mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and saute the onion, garlic and mince for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Sprinkle over the flour and mix in well.
- Gradually add the stock,then the pasta sauce, grated carrot and mint jelly. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened and saucy.
- Add the spinach leaves and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until wilted and green. Set aside to cool.
- Boil the potatoes in plenty of salted water until tender.
- Drain well and mash with the butter and milk, then stir in the cheese and mint.
- Spoon the mince mixture into a deep oven-proof serving dish and smooth the top.
- Dot the mashed potato over the mince and blend together with a fork. Add a little extra cheese to the top, if desired.
- Bake on an oven tray for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and golden.