Easy and super-tasty, make these tomato and basil beans with bacon and an egg – a brunch favourite.
You can add some crusty bread for a complete meal –“ the works” Italian style!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 rashers smoky bacon or chorizo, diced
- 1 can diced tinned tomatoes
- ½ cup water
- 1 can tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste or sauce
- 4 eggs
- Fresh basil leaves/olive oil and cracked pepper to serve
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until the onion is soft and the bacon coloured.
2 Add the tomatoes, water, cannellini beans, Worcestershire, brown sugar, paprika and paste and simmer for 5-8 minutes until reduced and thickened.
3 Divide between individual dishes (or spoon into a large dish) and make a well in the centre of each dish (or in each quarter of a large dish).
4 Crack an egg into each well, cover with foil and bake for 5-8 minutes until the egg is set. Serve with a swirl of olive oil, fresh basil and cracked pepper.