This fruity date and chocolate log is the perfect sweet treat finale to a special dinner.
Makes 2 logs
- 1 cup diced dates
- ½ cup dried apricots
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 4 pieces crystalised ginger
- ½ cup ground almonds
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 150g milk or dark chocolate melts
- ¼ cup chopped nuts, such as pistachios, pecans etc
- Place the dates and apricots in a bowl. Pour over the boiling water. Set aside for 20 minutes to soften. In the food processor, combine dates, apricots and ginger, pulsing until finely chopped. Add the almonds, coconut and orange zest. Blend until well mixed and stiff.
- Turn out onto cling film. Roll and shape into a log. Chill for at least 4 hours. Melt chocolate and spoon over chilled log. Sprinkle with nuts.
Take a look at these caramel custards with salted honey peanuts here.
About Jo Wilcox
"I have had a love of food my whole life. Lucky for me my mum allowed me to play in the kitchen from the very beginning – from sitting up on the bench watch her peeling peaches for preserving or planning dinner parties from her many Womans Weekly Cookbooks. Starting in my local beach café, I went onto professional cookery training and my big foodie OE working as a professional chef and nanny. At 21 I launched my first restaurant. The following years saw me owning a gourmet cake and dessert shop and then a pasta deli before I discovered the world of food styling. Today I work in food styling making food look beautiful and tasty in packaging and advertising shoots, as well as my most important role yet – Food Editor of New Zealand Woman’s Weekly. I aim to provide great meal solutions that are interesting and approachable, and of course gorgeous foodie photos that make you want to cook them! I love the feedback and the knowledge that people actually cook them and have great results. If I can give someone a love of cooking and enjoying family meal times and gatherings then my job is done!" See www.jowilcox.co.nzmore of this author