- 200g gurnard fillets
- 1 cup milk
- 200g agria potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko crumbs
- 3 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the fish and the milk in a heavy-based pan. Cover and heat. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat off. Allow the fish to cool in the milk. Remove the fish and flake it into a bowl containing the potato, lemon, parsley, chilli, onion and seasoning. Mix until combined. 2 Roll the mix into golf ball-sized balls, then press to flatten slightly. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
3 Crumb the fish cakes by rolling them first in the egg then in the panko crumbs. Pan fry until golden and crispy, then finish in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Curry lime mayonnaise
- 2 egg yolks
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Pinch of salt, sugar and pepper
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ¾ cup olive oil
1 Place all the ingredients, except the olive oil in a food processor and blitz until smooth. 2 With the motor running, gradually add the olive oil until the mix is smooth and creamy.
Shallot & parsley salad
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves,
- roughly picked3 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp good-quality olive oil
1 Combine the parsley and shallots and dress with olive oil.
2 To serve, arrange the fish cakes on a plate with a few dollops of the curry lime mayonnaise, a sprinkle of salt and curry powder and the shallot and parsley salad.