Total time10 minutes
Ready in 10 minutes, serves 6.
- 24 crostini (small pieces of grilled or toasted bread)
- 300g creamy blue cheese
- 1-2 pears, cored and sliced, skin left on
- 1/2 cup roasted pecan nuts
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 1/2 cup pear chutney
1. Soften cheese at room temperature for 1 hour before assembling platter.
2. Arrange crostini, cheese and prepared pear slices on a large platter. Place nuts, honey and chutney into ramekins or glass containers and place on platter. Serve.
Tips: For a gluten-free option, the pears are perfect as a base – then you can add the other toppings. Keep a pepper grinder handy for those guests who want to add a kick to their canape.
Ready in 2 hours and 20 minutes, makes 3 litres.
- 1.5kg ripe pears, cored, chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 5 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500g sultanas
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar
- Zest 1 orange
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp ground allspice
- 500g pitted dates, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup runny honey
- 1 tbsp salt
- 5 cups malt vinegar
1. Combine all of the above ingredients in a large saucepan. Simmer gently for 2 hours and 15 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Once chutney is thick, pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
Tip: This is a fantastic chutney to give guests. Once they have tasted it on their canapes, they will want more!