Ready in 1 hour and 20 minutes, makes 1 x 23cm loaf
- 1 cup water or cold tea
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, sifted
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Place the water, sugar, butter, golden syrup, dates and sultanas in a saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
4. Add the sifted ingredients to the boiled fruit mixture and stir well.
5. Pour into a lined, greased 23cm loaf tin and bake for about an hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.