Total time30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1kg pumpkin, coarsely chopped with skin and seeds removed
- 6 cups liquid vegetable or chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve
1. Heat oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes to soften. Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute more.
2. Add tomato paste, pumpkin and stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
3. Purée the mixture in a blender, then return to the pan to reheat. Stir in lemon juice, then stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls scattered with coriander.
Tip: Serve pappadoms on the side, if desired. Cooking pappadoms in the microwave is quick and easy, and is healthier than deep-frying them in fat.