Move over mince tacos – it’s never a problem to get the kids to the table with this delicious dinner option. Add more or less seasoning depending on your tastes.
I find it’s fun to let everyone make their own taco, which makes this meal ideal for large gatherings. The sour cream, spices and lemon juice act as a marinade for the chicken, while the crumbs give it a nice crust.
- 1 large chicken breast, sliced into even-sized strips
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp Mexican seasoning or Cajun spice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ cups (approx) panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- 8 crispy taco shells
- Grated cheese, shredded lettuce, grated carrot, diced red onion, sliced cucumber, to serve
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Sweet chilli sauce, for garnish
- In a glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the chicken strips, sour cream, turmeric, spice, garlic and lemon juice, then mix until coated. Leave to marinate for up to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, toss the marinated chicken strips in the panko or breadcrumbs and cook in a large, preheated frying pan with a little oil until golden and cooked through.
- Serve the chicken strips in warmed taco shells with a range of salad ingredients. Top with a dollop of sour cream and drizzle over sweet chilli.
*Also try this in soft tortillas or pita pockets.
Take a look at this easy lasagne-style crock-pot recipe here.