This hearty, flavoursome mix works just as well served with creamy mashed potato or rice. Like a cross between beef bourguignon and stroganoff, this combo is sure to please – so let the slow cooker do the work.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2-3 rashers middle or rindless bacon, diced
- 200g button mushrooms, quartered
- 650-700g topside beef or similar, diced
- 350ml beef stock
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tin whole peeled diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cream
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Cooked pasta, to serve
- Sour cream, to serve
- Fresh herbs, to serve
- In a slow cooker or large lidded casserole dish, combine the onion, garlic, bacon, mushrooms and beef.
- In a separate jug, whisk together the stock, mustard, Worcestershire and barbecue sauces and cornflour. Stir in the tomatoes, then pour over the beef and mix well.
- Cook at 160oC for 4-5 hours in the oven, stirring twice, or 5-6 hours on medium heat in the slow cooker, stirring once.
- When the beef is tender, stir in the cream and check for seasoning if necessary.
- Serve over hot pasta with chopped herbs and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Take a look at this tasty beef chilli recipe here.