Three great ways to have ice cream at home: with a Brazil nut topping, with a beet tip (my take on the famous Jelly Tip), and dipped in sherbet.
Brazil nut topping
- 1 cup Brazil nuts
- ½ cup fruit mix (golden raisins, cranberries, sultanas, currants)
- 4 tbsp chopped dark chocolate
1 Preheat oven to 160°C.
2 Place Brazil nuts on a baking tray and roast in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and cool.
3 Using a pestle and mortar, crush Brazil nuts. Alternatively, place in a clean tea towel and smash with a rolling pin.
4 Place crushed nuts in a bowl, add fruit mix and chocolate and combine.
- 1 ice-cream cone
- 1 scoop ice cream
- 1 slice beetroot, blackberry and pomegranate, frozen
- Crushed Brazil nuts or chocolate hail for sprinkling
1 For each beet tip, first place a scoop of ice cream in a cone. Follow with a slice of beetroot, blackberry or pomegranate, and sprinkle nuts or chocolate hail on top.
- 4 tbsp freeze-dried fruit powder (available at specialty food stores), any flavour
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 10 tsp icing sugar, sifted
- 2½ tsp citric acid
1 Mix all ingredients together (store in an airtight container).
2 Sprinkle sherbet on top of ice cream.