These are so cute and combine my favourite flavours of coffee, caramel and toasted coconut. You could even add some pre-soaked, finely chopped dates for a cheat’s version of sticky date cake. Enjoy freshly baked for afternoon tea or serve warm with a dollop of thickened cream and a swirl of honey for a dinner party dessert.
- 130g butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1½ cups thread coconut
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Spray a 12-cup muffin tray.
- Cream butter and sugar for 4-5 minutes with an electric beater until pale and fluffy. Add dissolved coffee and eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in flour with the milk, stirring until smooth, then spoon into muffin tray.
- Whisk egg whites and caster sugar until soft and fluffy, then fold in the coconut. Spoon a dollop of coconut mixture onto each cup of the muffin tray, covering the top of each. Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden on top.