Fragrant and tangy, this creamy curry-style dish is a great way to use up leftover vegetables or simply to enjoy a meat-free meal.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced finely
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 400ml can coconut cream
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 2 courgettes, diced
- ¼ cauliflower, cut into small florets
- ½ cup white rice
- 100g green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1 tsp grated lime zest
- 1-2 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- Toasted flaked coconut and fresh coriander to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy- based saucepan and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and spices over a gentle heat for 4-5 minutes until softened and fragrant. Add the stock and coconut cream, then bring to a simmer.
- Add the diced eggplant, courgette and cauliflower, then cover. Simmer gently for 40 minutes, then remove the lid and add the rice and beans, cooking for 10-12 minutes or until the rice is al dente and the beans are tender and bright green.
- Season to taste and stir through the lime zest and spinach. Serve in bowls topped with toasted flaked coconut and fresh coriander leaves.
Take a look at our pick of the best classic soup recipes here.