Total time45 minutes
- 250g butter, melted
- 8 slices slightly stale fruit bread (or plain bread and 2 tbsp dried fruits)
- 4 tbsp desiccated coconut, lightly toasted
- 3 eggs
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 350ml coconut milk
- Fresh fruit and runny cream or yoghurt, to serve (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Butter a baking dish (ideally, 4 slices of bread should fit in the dish in one layer).
2. Butter all 8 slices of bread on both sides and sit 4 in the dish. Sprinkle with half the toasted coconut.
3. Whisk the eggs, sugar, orange zest,
vanilla and coconut milk together and pour 1/3 of the mixture over the bread.
4. Lay on the next 4 slices of bread, sprinkle with the remaining coconut and pour on the remaining egg mixture. Press the bread down gently into the cream mixture.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the custard has set. Insert a sharp knife or toothpick to check – it shouldn’t be too moist.
6. To serve, simply scoop the pudding onto a plate and scatter with fresh fruit, adding runny cream or yoghurt if you like.