Total time60 minutes
Ready in 1 hour, makes 20 biscuits.
Your friends and family will marvel at these artistic and clever cookies. You will need festive cutters in two sizes to create the layered look.
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 70g ground hazelnuts
- 100g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC . Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a bowl. Mix in the nuts. Rub the butter into the mixture until it has the texture of breadcrumbs.
2. Add the egg yolks to form a soft dough. Divide the mixture in half and mix one portion with the cocoa.
3. Roll each portion out thinly on a floured surface. Using cutters in two different sizes, cut out the biscuits.
4. With a pastry brush, coat the underside of the small biscuit with egg white and place on top of the larger biscuit.
5. Place the biscuits on a greased tray and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool and store in an airtight container.