Homemade satay is simply the best with its crunchy
peanuts and tangy flavour. You can use nibbles, drumsticks or thighs for this recipe. The noodle salad makes it a complete meal – and in just 40 minutes.
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- ¼ cup warm water
- 8-10 chicken drumsticks
- 1 packet vermicelli noodles
- ¼ cucumber, cut into thin strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin strips
- ½ red pepper, sliced into strips
- ½ yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp black or toasted sesame seeds
- 1 small bunch coriander or mint, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch sugar
- Sea salt and pepper
- Crispy noodles or chopped peanuts, to serve
- In the food processor, combine the peanuts, garlic and ginger, then pulse until the nuts are fine. Add the soy sauce, sweet chilli and water. Blend together until finely chopped and saucy.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large bag or container and marinate in the satay for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC. Arrange the drumsticks in a lined shallow dish and roast for 35-40 minutes until golden and the juices run clear when pierced in the thickest part.
- For the noodle salad, place noodles in a large bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soften for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Combine the noodles with the cucumber, carrot, peppers, red onion, sesame seeds and herbs, tossing together.
- For the dressing, mix the oil, lime juice, sugar and seasoning in a small jar and shake well. Toss through the salad.
- Serve the chicken drumsticks with the noodle salad, extra peanuts and crispy noodles.
Take a look at this chicken pie recipe here.