This is a classic, fragrant and fruity combination inspired by Moroccan dishes. A tagine can either be a shaped terracotta dish or refer to a method of gentle cooking using a lid. Serve with green beans or spinach salad.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 can diced whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups pumpkin, peeled and diced
- ½ cup diced apricots
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3-4 dates, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli and lime seasoning or similar
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted flaked almonds
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and gently saute the onion, ginger, garlic, spices and chicken for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, stock, pumpkin and apricots, then cover. Simmer gently for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Remove the lid and let the juices reduce and thicken for a further 5 minutes.
- Put the couscous, lemon zest, dates and seasoning into a glass or stainless steel bowl, pour over the boiling water, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff up with a fork.
- Serve the fragrant chicken over the couscous and top with fresh chopped parsley and flaked almonds.